What is this?

One night I was talking to Dave Leigh & others in Artifiction. The topic of a top 10 "hottie" list came up, and we discussed who would be on our lists. I had a good idea of who would probably make my list, but had never actually typed one up. As I sat down to make a rough draft, names kept popping into my head, and I quickly ran out of places on my list. After I narrowed it down to 10, I decided that I might as well post the others I listed. Every now & then I'll add a few more to the list. I don't really expect anyone to keep up with this or to make this a regular project. Posting only 10 seems too...incomplete...and it would bug me to have it unfinished.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

#2 Natalie Wood

I can't promise I'll write as much as I did with the first entry for every entry here on this blog. These women are all being posted for similar reasons, and I expect to run out of things to say very quickly for each one. Since I do like to blog about music & dance, whenever I can I'll try to incorporate some of that into these posts. You might have guessed I was going to do that after reading the first post.

I don't think I discovered Natalie Wood until I was out of high school. Aside from John Wayne movies, which my dad always watched, I never watched older movies as a kid. When I went to college (Miami U), I remember being in some boring class when the teacher put the movie "This Property Is Condemned" on the TV. She wanted to show a certain scene to use as an example of...something (I wasn't paying attention). I looked up in time to see the most beautiful pair of...eyes I had ever seen. The teacher didn't mention any names so I didn't know who the girl was, but I did know the name of the movie. First thing after class...I rented that movie. Ever since, I've considered Natalie Wood one of the most incredible looking women to ever walk this earth.

Years later when I started watching older movies a lot (mostly on TCM), I began to compile a list of actors & actresses that I consistently enjoyed watching. For instance: Gene Kelly, Clint Eastwood, Myrna Loy, William Powell & Natalie Wood are just a few on that list. ANY time I see a film is going to be on featuring someone on that list I record it (if it's something I hadn't seen already). Natalie isn't what inspired me to start watching old films (being poor did that), but she was one of the first actresses that made my list. Heck, I even watch the really bad movies that she's in.

Watch It:
Gypsy (1962)
This Property Is Condemned (1966)
Rebel Without A Cause (1955)
The Searchers (1956)
Splendor In The Grass (1961)
Miracle On 34th Street (1947)
West Side Story (1962) - I'm actually not a fan of this one...but a few people seem to like it. :p

More Info: (Source)
- Called "The Most Beautiful Teenager In The World" by Life magazine in 1956.
- Born Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko. (yikes)
- Dated Elvis Presley.
- Married Robert Wagner...twice.
- An accident on a movie set (she fell into a river and almost drowned) when she was 9 years old left her with a permanently weakened left wrist and a slight bone protrusion, which, for the rest of her life, she hid with large bracelets. Regardless of the movie role, or anytime that she was out in public, she always wore a large bracelet on the left wrist.
- According to her mother, a gypsy once told her that Natalie would die of drowning, which caused Natalie to have nightmares as a child. She was 43 years old when she did in fact drown under mysterious circumstances.
- On Saturday, April 23rd, 1966, she made Harvard history when she became the first performer voted the year's worst by the Harvard Lampoon to show up and accept her citation.
- Pallbearers at her funeral were Rock Hudson, Frank Sinatra, Laurence Olivier, Elia Kazan, Gregory Peck, David Niven, and Fred Astaire.
- "Natalie's Song" by David Pack, was written about Natalie Wood. Kathy Fleischmann also wrote a song about her called "Eyes Like Natalie Wood".
- While taking classes at UCLA, she turned down the role of Elaine in The Graduate (1967) that went to Katharine Ross.
- Was Maureen O'Hara daughter in two movies, one being the classic Miracle on 34th Street (1947). Natalie referred to Maureen as Mama Maureen till her death in 1981.
"You know what I want? I want yesterday." - Natalie
The Mystery Of Natalie Wood: Dubbing Woes
Natalie has sang many times on screen, even if you've never actually heard her voice. Most of these clips were taken from a 2004 film by Peter Bogdanovich, and other clips were added from various films Natalie was in.

I Feel Pretty
The best part of "West Side Story".

Feel free to post your own top 10 babes in the comments...or just complain about my picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment