What is this?

One night I was talking to Dave Leigh & others in Artifiction. The topic of a top 10 "hottie" list came up, and we discussed who would be on our lists. I had a good idea of who would probably make my list, but had never actually typed one up. As I sat down to make a rough draft, names kept popping into my head, and I quickly ran out of places on my list. After I narrowed it down to 10, I decided that I might as well post the others I listed. Every now & then I'll add a few more to the list. I don't really expect anyone to keep up with this or to make this a regular project. Posting only 10 seems too...incomplete...and it would bug me to have it unfinished.

Monday, March 14, 2011

#3 Mary Tyler Moore

I think Mary Tyler Moore is the first woman on the list who has had implants. Not that she needed them, and she didn't have them anywhere near her prime, so this didn't really factor into my list. Nick At Nite is the main reason Mary made my list. Back in the day they played classic TV shows late at night on Nickelodeon. Later they started an entirely new channel called TV Land. I remember seeing a couple episodes of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" on Nick At Night once, and I quickly became a fan. The writing & comedy was just amazing, and over a decade later I bought all the seasons on DVD just based off memories I had from Nick At Nite.

When I put in the first DVD I fell in love with Laura Petrie. The legs, the capri slacks & the smile... I can't say why I didn't remember her being so cute & sexy when I first saw the show, but love at second glance it was. For years my daydreams consisted of throwing parties for my neighbors & entertaining them by singing & dancing with my wife (Laura). For me Mary can cross the line between cute & sexy with a simple rise of the eyebrow. For the most part I think of her as cute & bubbly, but she can be a mischievous sex kitten with the snap of a finger.

She's best known as Mary Richards from The "Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977)". Even though it's a classic, she will always be Laura Petrie to me. It's another show with great writing & characters. So great that Rhoda (1974-1977) & Phyllis (1975-1976) were spun off the show. Mary was pretty much the queen of television for period, and I still long to sing "Mountain Greenery" with her.

Watch It:
The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-1966)
Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)
Change of Habit (1968)
Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977)

More Info: (Source)
- She was a dancer before she became an actress.
- Had a recurring role as "Sam", Richard Diamond's sultry answering service girl, on "Richard Diamond, Private Detective" (1957). Her performance being particularly notorious because her legs (usually dangling a pump on her toe) were shown instead of her face.
- Has won 2 Tony Award's as well as her share of Emmys.
- Told David Letterman that her (and others') nickname for Dick Van Dyke when they did the "The Dick Van Dyke Show" together was Penis Von Lesbian, a play on his real name.
- Bronze statue capturing her character Mary's signature hat-toss went on display May 8, 2002 at the Minneapolis intersection where the scene for "Mary Tyler Moore" was originally filmed.

"The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet"
Mary got one of her first breaks as a dancing elf-life creature in Happy Hotpoint commercials. She speaks in some of them: Example.

Mountain Greenery
This is from "The Sleeping Brother" (1962) which features Jerry Van Dyke as Stacey Petrie, and this is one of my favorite TV moments of all time.

You Wonderful You
Dick & Mary in "How We Met The Night We Danced".

House Party 2
Sorry don't know the song name.

A Doodlin' Song

Stumbling
From the film "Thoroughly Modern Millie", here are those wonderful legs dancing in color.

Feel free to post your own top 10 babes in the comments...or just complain about my picks.

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I loved about the Dick van Dyke show was that, they really showcased the talent of not only the regular cast, but of guests. To an extent it was a variety show dressed up and disguised as a sitcom. They knew how to entertain, and weren't self-conscious about doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, there were a lot of guest stars who got to shine over the years on that show. I wish they would have kept it going longer, it still had the audience when they ended.

    ReplyDelete